The freshly made peanut butter I have cooling on the counter smells really good. Granola is usually that stuff you can buy in the cereal row, but it’s usually around three dollars or so. Granola is not hard to make and you can make a huge batch and eat it like cereal for a week.
Here is what you need:
- 2&3/4 cups rolled oats(not oatmeal out of a packet)
- 1/ 4 cup wheat germ(you can get this on the cereal row or health food store)
- 1/ 4 cup seeds or nuts(any kind you like)
- 2 Tbsps vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup flax seed(cereal row or health food store)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup raisins optional
- 1/4 cup honey powder(health food store, optional)
The first step is the mix your dry ingredients together, don’t put the raisins in yet.
Then put your oil and honey into a medium sized saucepan and put that on medium heat. Your objective here is to heat up the oil and honey. This is literally going to take less than two minutes. So don’t go anywhere and don’t take a phone call or anything.
Take this off of the heat then put in the vanilla and stir in the peanut butter until smooth. If you use chunky peanut butter it won’t be as smooth.
Next mix this with your dry stuff. Stir it all around with a wooden spoon. If it’s a little too dry just put in a little more oil.
When everything is mixed together pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Put your granola into a pan, I used a 9×13 pan with sides because this needs stirred and I don’t want granola flipped all over my oven.
Put that in the oven. You are going to bake it for 30 minutes. It may require more or less time depending on your oven and how you like it. I set the timer for every ten minutes so I could stir it.
Let this cool and put it away into an airtight container or you can eat it.
Ideas for eating are:
- on top of yogurt
- on top of ice cream
- use it to make a fruit crisp
- use it to make granola bars
- put milk in it and eat it like cereal
You can add all sorts of things to granola the basis are the oats and the oil and honey, but you can add other things like:
- nuts and seeds of all kinds
- Various grains(flaxseed wheat germ, puffed rice)
- cocoa powder
- peanut butter as demonstrated here
- dried fruits
- banana chips
- chocolate chips(you’ll probably want to add those after it’s baked)